Skiathos is perhaps the only island known by the same name throughout the centuries. Many historical writers and geographers, Greek and Latin, dealt with the etymology of the name “Skiathos”. Three theories prevail. The first, approaches the subject in an etymological manner: it’s a compound word from “skia” (shadow) and “Athos” (the name of the Holy Mount and the peninsula of Athos), so as far as this theory is concerned, the name of the island has to do with it being in the shadow of the Holy Mount of Athos.
According to another theory, the name relates to the small
town “Skia” of Euboea, from where the Chalcidians started
arriving to the island. The third and most likely version
connects the name of the island to the rich shadow cast by the
numerous trees. Alexandros Papadiamantis agreed with those
that thought that the name “Skiathos” is pre-Hellenic and
given to the island by its first settlers, the Pelasgians during
the Hellenistic period, having been impressed by the abundant
shadow cast by the tall trees.
The Skiathians were forced to leave the historic town of Skiathos about the year 1360 due to frequent pirate invasions, and they built a new settlement in Kastro that was roughly 25.000 m2 in size.
Although Kastro is only a little over an hour away, a car cannot truly get there. The old town of Kastro may, however, be reached after parking your car and ascending for 30 minutes.
So that you can enjoy the voyage and vista, the best way to get there is via kaiki boat from Skiathos’ old port.
The Skiathians were forced to leave the historic town of Skiathos about the year 1360 due to frequent pirate invasions, and they built a new settlement in Kastro that was roughly 25.000 m2 in size. It is a rocky peninsula in the north of the island that resembles a natural fortification because it is perched atop an intimidating rock with a grand vista. Because of this, it is surrounded by a weaker wall on the three sides that face the sea, while powerful, high walls with cannons and crenelations were built on the side that connects to the land. The wooden drawbridge that connected the fortress’ gate to the butte across it served as its point of land contact. The gate featured a rooftop with crenelations and a box machicolation on top of it.